Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I have no spark on either spark plug. I am supposed to have

Customer Question

I have no spark on either spark plug. I am supposed to have .48-.72 ohms on the primary side of the coil. All I have is .2 ohms. What does this indicate
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a 1995 Yamaha waveraider 1100. None of the spark plugs have spark. I pulled the ignition coil to test it. This forum says I should have .48-.72 ohms resistance and I have .2 on the primary side. I get no reading on the secondary side of the coil
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: That should be it
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 11 days ago.

Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?

Do you still need help on this ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Kenny this is Bryce. Yes I would like a little insight into what I have going on. The jet ski is a Yamaha waveraider 700 and I have no spark at either plug. I have .2 ohm resistance on the primary side of the ignition coil but no reading on the secondary side.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

OK thanks Bryce, I need to know exactly what you have, you have conflicting statements, when you were initinally speaking to with the JA representative you stated a "waveraider 1100" if you have a HIN hull number that will help also ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It is a waveraider 700 that has no spark. I got it mixed up with my other ski that is an 1100
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

OK good, I will post up some basic electrical checks on the ignition system, it appears you have a multi-meter ?I will first have you eliminated the kill portions of the system and then have you perform some resistance checks on the stator, that s usually the issues with these older skis.

Thanks, ***** ***** with that ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
sounds perfect. Also if you would give me a little info on how to check the resistances just to make sure I am doing it correctly.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

I have made cheat sheets for you guys, its pretty easy, just follow my steps, includes line drawings, if you have any questions just get back, you will also need to get back with your findings after checking and getting your values.

I want you to first disconnect the "white" wire at the CDI box, this will eliminate all the kill switches, and then check for spark, if you still don't have spark then proceed to checking the stator.

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

OK make sure you save a copy as these files don't stay up long. Let me know what your outcome is and if you have any questions please ask.

Thanks

Kenny

http://spaces.hightail.com/receive/kJo4DGX7BX

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

Also remember when checking for AC volts, that is a dynamic check so hat means turning the engine over wit the spark plugs in that gives you more of a truer reading.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks Kenny. I will test later this afternoon and get back to you
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 days ago.

Awesome

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
For the brown/white to black: 553 ohm & 5.8 volts
Red/white to black 15 ohm & 2.3 volts
Green to green 1.5 ohm & 1.7 volts