Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I want to rig my QSB 5.9 380 HP Marine Engine with cruise

Customer Question

I want to rig my QSB 5.9 380 HP Marine Engine with cruise control like on a truck. I have regular cable controls, but would to be able to set each engine individually at a particular RPM setting. Can this be done and what do I need to do to make it happen. I'm in the Houston area. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: MANUFACTURER: CUMMINS
MODEL: QSB5.9 ReCon - 280kw/380mhp HORSE POWER: 380 MHP@ 3000 RPM
SERIAL # PORT: 60280760 STARBOARD:###-##-####JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi John, my name is***** read what you wrote. If you push the throttle lever to any specific position it should hold that position, and therefore hold the engine at a specific RPM. Is your throttle lever creeping back or returning to neutral on you on it's own?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, but it is time consuming to set the engines while fishing all day long and it would also simplify setting and changing my cruising speed. Basically I'm wanting to synchronize the engine RPM's, but not by using a synchronizer... I could buy electronic controls and it would be done, but that is a $9,000+ expense. Also I like the idea of being able to finely tune or change the RPM's whenever I need to. This would help when adjusting my trolling speed to find the optimum speed for fishing that day. It would also facilitate adjusting RPM's at cruising speed to meet changing water conditions.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I guess I don't understand you. If you push the throttle lever forward the engine should stay at that RPM. If you take your hands off of the throttle lever are the engines rpms dropping down or not staying the same?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The throttles are very sensitive and depending on wave conditions it can take a while to get the engine RPM's synchronized. I am just trying to make it easier. Is there a way to add cruise control to each engine?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Not that I know of. I will opt out.