Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1998 Mariner 150 EFI Max. Always ran like a top and

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Mariner 150 EFI Max. Always ran like a top and still does. Getting alarm beeps. Thought it was the water pump, dropped lower unit and impeller was like new. Changed last year. Got on internet and see the beeps are for the oil alarm. Checked float on motor and its ok. Pulled plug and gas getting oil. Alarm is not all times. May run for 10 - 15 min before it starts. Sometimes when it is not alarming and I trim the motor while running it beeps every time I hit the switch. Also I noticed the tack is jumping around at times. Changer the oil alarm module and still the same. Thanks,
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Checked that oil is getting to oil container on motor while running by loosing cap and all is fine. Oil coming out cap when running. Pulled cap and checked float switch and it is ok.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried to disconnect the oil tank alarm and see it it still sounds?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

ok, there is one other sensor on the engine that will sound the beeping alarm. That is the water sep filter. Remove it from the engine and pour it into a glass jar. Allow it to settle and see if there is more than one layer in the jar. If so, there is water in the fuel and it will need to be pumped out of the tank before you use the boat.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did that and no water
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Ok, it the beep a rapid beep or more of a beep, pause, beep.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Beeps at times and then will rapid beep at times. Even beeps sometimes when I hit the trim.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Have you removed the drive to the oil pump and inspected it? The bushing could be binding slightly in the block and causing this alarm.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet. I'll check it out tomorrow thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

That would need to be the next check. You can rule out overheat since that would be a solid horn.