Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

1996 75hp force. idles fine, at 1/2 throttle it bogs some

Customer Question

1996 75hp force. idles fine, at 1/2 throttle it bogs some then at top speed it does fine. i noticed the butterfly not opening up intill at least 3/4 throttle is that correct?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I just cleaned the carb. and it did help alittle.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

May i get the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it doesnt have any anywhere, I was told by a marine place that these numbers would work. OE138600-OE202999
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Ok I have it.. When you did the carbs, did you replace the needles or gaskets?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no they all looked good
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Alright, would you like to move to the phone of stay in chat. There is an additional fee of 26 to move to the phone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

if you move thbe throttle roller by hand, do the butterflies move?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Has any work been done to the control box recently?

If you remove the cable from its attachment point, then use your hand to advance the linkage, does it function properly?

Other than you doing the carbs, has any other work been done to the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just bought it recently and the guy has done some work on it and everthing he did he left it undone like loose screws etc. so Im
gonna take it to a mechanic on tuesday so i guess you really cant help me right now but thanks anyway. I just thought maybe i could get some opinions to give the mechanic. I thought this would only cost me 5.00 instead of 25 so my bad.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

A fewe things that you can look at before taking to the shop would be the cable hook up point. When you throttle up, make sure that it is moving properly. If it is not, the issue would be in the control box. If it does, the adjustment on the tower shaft is not correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thanks so much, wish me luck.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Good luck. You can get back to me later today or tomorrow if you need to. There are no extra fees for that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Great. Talk to you then.