Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 1989 150 hp, XR4, merc keeps sounding the warning horn

Customer Question

My 1989 150 hp, XR4, merc keeps sounding the warning horn for overheating. The temp gauge agrees that it is overheating. I have replaced the water pump components twice with no change. What else?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: What else can I say. The telltale is spitting out what looks like plenty of water, I have checked the compression on all six cylinders. I'm wondering about timing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I have owned the boat and motor for 28 years and have never had it serviced by a mechanic. I do my own maintenance and I have a Seloc manual that I use for guidance.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is Jason

The next step would be replacing the thermostats. A stuck closed or clogged up thermostat would definitely cause an overheat. I see that you wrote that you replaced the water pump, but no mention of doing the thermostats. Have they been changed yet?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I submerged both thermostats in water, heated it to the correct temp and both thermostats opened as expected. I didn't expect such a simplistic answer. That's why I listed how long I have had the boat with no problems.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I understand the latest screen, this will cost me an additional $26.00?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't call me!