Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

MFS5bdl does not seem to change gear correctly do I have to

Customer Question

MFS5bdl does not seem to change gear correctly do I have to take off bottom part of leg to straighten rod
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Propellor seems to be damaged and motor not going into the neutral position properly
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 13 days ago.

Before tearing into the lower unit, you will need to make sure that the prop shaft is straight. Do this by spinning the prop with the engine in Neutral and the engine off. If there is wobble in the end of the shaft, it is bent and will need to either be straightened at a machine shop or replaced. Then check the gear oil, remove the lower drain plug and make sure that there is not any metal in it. If there is, this could be either gear or clutch damage, either would lead to the lower unit needing to be opened up and inspected.