Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 115 HP Yamaha motor 2005 model.Yesterday the motor

Customer Question

Good afternoon I have a 115 HP Yamaha motor 2005 model.Yesterday the motor would not start after having been used sereral times on the same day.When the ignition key was turned there was a (tick , tick noise coming from the motor.I changed batteries with no change.I then reinstated the original battery & the motor started
Today after several hours of use we were heading back to shore at almost full throttle when the motor started running rough then we backed off to quarter throttle the motor stopped . Again swapped batteries over with no result. I reinstated the batteries as before this time made no difference.I still have the ticking noise & also the button on the side of the motor to raise & lower the motor does not work .Thankyou for your time.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem you have here is loose connection or corroded connections. First thing check the terminals on the battery to be clean. Then check if you have a main switch that when put on the ON position, there is actually continuity from one terminal to the other. check also the continuity of each power line from the engine to the battery, there should be 0 resistance. Finally check the terminals on the engine, the earth wire and the positive on the solenoid to be clean and properly tight.

If you still have the problem post back but checking the above should find the culprit of your problem.

Noel