Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1994 Merc 200hp 2.5. Can you please tell the

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Merc 200hp 2.5. Can you please tell the easiest way to remove the power tilt / trim motor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i think water has gone down the power cable and into the motor as i have found a split in the outer cable
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is Jason.

Mercury engine are cataloged by serial number, do you happen to have the serial number handy on your outboard so I can run it and see exactly which engine you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the only number i can find is 06129305
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay give me a second to run this. While I do that, have you attempted to start the job yet and hit a road block, or did you just need some instructions before getting started?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
haven't started yet thought i would ask the easy way before i did the hard way
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Mercury made 2 different style power trim motors for this generation of engine, and your serial number only shows me both options, and not which one you have. Do you have a complete power trim and tilt assembly mounted on the outside of the boat, with the whole unit between the clamp brackets? Or do you have the system where the power trim pump/motor is on the inside of the boat, with the two hydraulic rams on the outside of the boat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its all mounter outside of the boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Got it. There are also a few different styles of that system. I'm attaching a picture, does this look like your power trim pump?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay good. Give me just a couple more minutes, I have to make some copies for you.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I'm going to give you two sets of instructions. The first set is from the factory service manual, and I am attaching them to this reply. The reason I am giving you 2 different sets of instrucions is because the factory way only works of the engine is brand new, and has no corrosion on it what so ever. See attachment for the first set, I will respond momentarily with the 2nd set of instructions.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

To remove the power trim unit.

1. Remove engine cover, attach lifting eye to flywheel, attach outboard to hoist.

2. Remove steering cable from starboard side of outboard.

3. Remmove 4 bolts holding outboard to boat.

4. Swing outboard away from transom just a few engines.

5. Remove all power trim mounting bolts as shown in prior attachment, there will be 6 in total plus the zinc if that is still there.

6. Where the steering cable goes through the outboard there will be a large threaded tube with 2 large nuts on either side. Loosen up the large nuts enough that you can pull the 2 halves of the clamp bracket apart. The clamp bracket are what the bolts go through before bolting into the trim pump.

7. In the file I gave you page 5b-16 says to remove the cross pin, but it does not say how. To remove that cross pin, when the outboard is off the boat, you will have to use a hammer and punch and punch that pin out from the side that faces the transom(back of the boat)

And that's it, that is how you will likely have to remove the unit.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks i will see how things go
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. The ratings box is located at the top of your screen, if you do not see it you might have to scroll up. If you still can not see it, or have a hard time when trying to select a rating for my help, please let me know and I will alert the moderators.

Thanks again and good luck!

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello just checking in. No rating has been put through for my help yet so I wanted to see if you had any further questions on the issue.