Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Bought a second hand 2001 Mercury 40hp, motor runs for up to

Customer Question

Bought a second hand 2001 Mercury 40hp, motor runs for up to 30 seconds and then cuts out and then will only run foe seconds. Strong spark. Vent open on fuel tank. Have replaced all fuel lines, cleaned out filter, stripped and checked fuel pump. The motor came with an hour meter; I have not fitted it to the motor. Could this be the cause? Any help welcome.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. Could the motor be over feeling as the plugs are quit wet when removed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. No the hour meter does not have anything to do with this problem. If the plugs are getting wet then most probably the problem you have is with the fuel pump. Try removing the fuel line that feeds the engine and see if the engine will start running right before it dies starving of fuel. If it thus then there is too much fuel going into the engine and flooding it. This is due to a bad fuel pump that is allowing too much fuel into the engine or else high / stuck float levels in the carbs. I suggest you remove the carbs and check the floa levels. They should be level with the bowls edge when put upside down. If they are ok then i would get a fuel pump rebuilding kit and replace it. Thiat should solve your problem.

IF you require further assistance let me know.

Noel