Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Mate.i have a 135 black max motor.after leaving the mariner

Customer Question

Hey mate.i have a 135 black max motor.after leaving the mariner alarm beeps Randomly.can see oil beeing used and motor has oil in tank and top reszovwa.new water pump has been installed a few months ago and temp gauge is fine.motor is cavatating at mid to high rpm.any ideas ????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So to start with the alarm problem and cavitation problem are not related. For the alarm problem, it is an oil related alarm as the heating alarm is a solid beep. If the engine is consuming the right amount of oil, approx 50:1 then the problem is with the sensor inside the tank. Try opening the engine reservoir, and see if the float switch may be stuck down . Try pulling it up and the alarm will stop. IF the float switch is in the up position, then the switch itself would require replacement. As for the cavitation problem, check that the hull is clean and there is nothing before the engine. If that is ok then the problem is due either to a spun propeller hub, or the engine is trimmed to much out or installed too much high. So if the problem started lately the engine is installed properly and if it still does it with the engine trimmed all the way down then most probably you need to replace the propeller hub.

If you still have questions let me know.

Noel