Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 96 fastrike. Motor stalled at lake today and now

Customer Question

I have a 96 Johnson fastrike. Motor stalled at lake today and now won't start. I'm getting spark on all plug wires.. guess it could be fuel problems?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have spark on all six plug wires. My question is do I start pulling carbs and cleaning and or rebuild?
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. Has good compression
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Pull the front cover to the carbs and remove one of the drain plugs at the bottom of one of the carbs. Does fuel run out?

Remove the spark plugs and check for fuel after cranking the engine. Are the plugs wet or dry?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wet
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

How are you checking for spark?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Spark tester grounding to block
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Is the spark jumping a 7/16" gap on the tester?

Neon tester won't work has to be an adjustable spark gap tester.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have the right tester. Can't measure gap. If it's not jumping gap what do I need to look at first? Power pack?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Stator output from the charge coils. If the spark is weak it will be either the stator or the power pack.

You can't test the power pack only the inputs. We know the optical sensor is good as you have spark. So that leaves weak output from the stator or a bad power pack.

If you have a peak reading volt meter test the stator output when cranking you should have 150-400 peak volts.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll have to pick up a meter in the morning and test.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks....
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome.