Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have received the boat and motor from service and

Customer Question

have received the boat and motor from service and overhaul,it appears as if throttle linkage is reversed on my 115 johnstone do you have any ideas
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: motor revs by hand but once the linkage is connected it appears to be reversed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no thanks just a linkage reversal problem
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, my name is Jason

I don't quite understand your question. Can you be more specific as to what the engine is actually doing?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The enginr revs normally by hand once I connect the throttle cables it appears as if they are reversed,The engine has just come back from a major service is it possible to connect incorrectly
Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

I still dont' understand what you mean. When you push the shifter handle forward is the engine shifting first and then reving up, or is it reving up first and then shifting?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The engine does not rev the motor goes into gear and idles it appears as if the cable moves the wrong way,
Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

If the cables were reversed what would happen when you pushed the handle forward is the engine would rev up high, and then it would slam/shift into gear. That is what would happen if the cables were reversed. Is that what the engine is doing?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No when I put the selector into forward it goes into gear and idles I cannot get it to rev
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No when I put the selector into forward it goes into gear and idles I cannot get it to rev I cannot cally you as I am in a rural area in south africa
Expert:  Tan replied 18 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Disconnect the throttle and shift cable now move the control are the cable moving in the right direction?

Dop you have a single lever control?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no throttle and cable do not move in same direction this is the problem.
Yes it is a single lever control
Expert:  Tan replied 18 days ago.

What is the make of the control? Is this a universal control or Johnson?

Did they work on the control?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it is a Johnson original
yes they did work on the control
Expert:  Tan replied 17 days ago.

Ok since this is a Johnson control then it cannot be messed up in the box as the cables can only be connected the correct way.

Have you tried reversing the cables on the engine? The throttle cable should move in only one direction no matter which way you move the handle. So move the control in both directions and the cable that moves in only one direction is the throttle cable. The shift cable will move in opposite directions when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse.