Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 97 four winns 238 Vista with Volvo Penta 5.7 gsi

Customer Question

I have a 97 four winns 238 Vista with Volvo Penta 5.7 gsi engine. I was trying to back into dock in strong current and hear a pop or click and throttle got much easier but no reverse or forward shifting any more. If I push throttle forward it revs up but engagement of forward or reverse gear. How do I trtroubleshoot and fix the problem?
Please help..
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which model sterndrive is on the boat? Are you near the boat now for some testing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alessandro
It's an SX sterndrive single prop.
No not near the boat right now..Can you give me a number to call when I'm near the boat? Are there any troutroubleshooting tests I can run to understand what the problem is?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Alessandro.

I do not work over the phone, we communicate online only, through the website. There isn't going to be much we can do if you are not near the boat now as a few things will need to be checked. When you get back to the boat. Push the shifter handle all the way forward, and let me know if you can turn the propeller in either direction by hand.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will try your suggestion and email you the result later today.
Thanks!
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Okay let me know what happens and we will take it from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning greatly appreciate whatever help on the issue..yes propeller spins in either direction both left AND right. What's the next troubleshooting suggestions so I can get her back moving on the water?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you have the shifter handle all the way forward before hand?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning Jason, it appears the shifter to throttle black plastic connector/ connection behind starboard secure box cavity broke off from 20 years of hard action (very stiff shifter issues). How do I replace this connector and resolve the hard shifting problem? Pls see pics..
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

No pictures came through, can you try uploading them again?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just tried it again no luck..a black plastic connector assembly within starboard cavity inside are the shifter and throttle cables.. black plastic shifter connector is broken how do I replace? How do I get the shifter to shift in gear easier and throttle works perfectly?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Is this part of the shifter assembly assembley itself that is broken?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do not believe so..It has a cast aluminum connector ( found on the floor) and broken black plastic piece partially on the floor) other parts still screwed into assembly trying to remove broken plastic part still connected what is this called? Part #? that goes connected to the shifter cables cam which is still intact.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I would need to see it in order to know what you are talking about. Is there any way you can take a picture of it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried to various pics 3 times no luck to you have another email to send to & see pics?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Click this link, it will explain how to upload pictures - http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Also, this website only works properly on a PC running either the Chrome or Firefox web browsers. If you are on any other kind of computer, or tablet, or cell phone. The website will not operate properly for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I be at the boat as you asked me to be and a pc at the same time? I'm on my phone..
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I don't know?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no way I paid $26 for you to tell me that! Need my $26 back right now this was totally water of time and unhelpful!
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello Alessandro. My name is Tan.

Does this look like your control?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/omc-sterndrive-accessories/images/56939.png

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Tan, thanks for your help on this issue. Yes exactly, parts #43 & 44 are exactly what broke off and not allowing shifter to engage at controller. What are these parts # ? and where can I buy them in person today or I'm stuck here?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Here is a link to the parts. They will have to be ordered you won't be able to get them locally unless you have an Bombardier or Volvo dealer that has them in stock not likely.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/omc-sterndrive-accessories/index.php?year=1997&model=Sterndrive+Accessories+1997&section=Remote+Control+Assembly+-+Concealed+Side+Mount&yid=34272&mid=34273&sid=56939

The only thing you could do today is use some wire ties to hold the cable in place.

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Here is # 43,(###) ###-####online suppliers. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=0126025+cable+anchor

Here is # 44, 126026 online suppliers. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=+0126026+cable+anchor

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get my part of the money you have already paid to the company.

To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

Follow up questions are always welcome.

Thank you.............Tan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Tan yes absolutely will rate you highly dead on the money help to replace exact parts and a temporary solution as well.
Good work!
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome............Thank you......Tan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Tan, replaced the part but looking to lessen the difficulty shifting from neutral to forward and reverse. Is there a shifter lubrication point or a way to grease linkages or cable and how can I best get the shifting cable lubricated for easier shifting? Please send pics of lubrication points for shifting cable.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello Alessandro.

The site requires you to open another question when the subject varies from the original question. So you have to rate this question and open a new question to get an answer to this issue.

Here is a direct link to me if you want my assistance. http://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/