Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Ive got a 20 hp Yamaha 2008. exhaust is noisy. I run this

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Ive got a 20 hp Yamaha 2008. exhaust is noisy. I run this motor on my 14ft skiff, daily, in saltwater. Power also feels less than normal. How can I access the exhaust gaskets & muffler. I typically change oil, filters, plugs, zincs every 4 to 6 months. Thanks, Bob.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the marine mechanic should know?
Customer: I flush with fresh water every week or two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Bob, my name is Jason.

Outboard engines do not have mufflers. What are you trying to do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Jason. Just want to check where the exhaust noise is coming from. On the Yamaha parts Web page does show a muffler. My guess it's a simple pipe / manifold running down the leg. Looking for any tips on accessing this pipe / manifold & gaskets. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

What is the model number on your engine?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You wrote that it was a 2008 20 horsepower, but there was no model number listed and I don't know if this is a 2 or a 4 stroke engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason. Sorry about that. It's a 4 stroke, elec start elec trim std tiller. Yamaha model # sticker is long gone. I might be able to dig up the # if I can find the receipt. Thanks Bob
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You said you were already looking at the parts website. Do you have a link that you can share with me so I can see exactly what you were seeing?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I actually dont' have a service manual for a 20 horsepower (thought I did, but guess not) I will opt out and leave this open to the community.