Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2004 yamaha 40tlrc; unused for 4 years; I replaced fuel

Customer Question

2004 yamaha 40tlrc; unused for 4 years; I replaced fuel filters, spark plugs & fuel lines; added oil to fuel as recommended in owners manual; engine sputters to an idle, idles for a minute and then slows down and dies. Can get it started again after removing plugs for a while and reinstalling.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

How old is the fuel that you are trying to burn? Have you tried pumping the primer bulb over and over to force fuel to the engine in order to see if it will stay running that way?

Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

It looks like you read my reply. Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Fuel is new. Have not tried pumping bulb.
Expert:  Jason replied 18 days ago.

Were you near the engine now to try pumping the bulb and see if it makes a difference or not? I also see you requested a phone call, phone service is available but it is a premium service that the websites charges extra for (it's an extra 26 on top of the 26 that you already paid) Did you want to set up a call or did you want to stay online?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will try pumping the bulb tonight
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Okay let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Pumping bulb didn't work. Pulled off air intake and, as noticed before, gasoline pooled in bottom of intake & bottom carb but top 2 carbs look dry.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also, oil dripping out of bottom unit (becuz gas getting into upper housing?)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Correction, upper carbs moist w/ fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Good morning and I do apologize for the delay. When you wrote back last evening I had already logged off for the night. Your problem ultimately was going to be either a bad fuel pump or clogged up carbs. Pumping the bulb over and over forces fuel through the fuel pump and is a quick test to see if the pump is good or bad. Since it bad no difference, the fuel pump is going to be fine, and the problem is going to be a varnish buildup in the carbs. On 2 stroke engines there is always a fuel and oil mix inside of the carbs internal fuel bowls. Over time, the fuel evaporates, but the oil does not. The oil gets left behind and turns into a varnish, which clogs up the fuel jets inside of the carbs. The fix here is going to be to have the carbs rebuilt by a technician qualified to do the work. Does that make sense.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't think it is the csrbs as I rebuilt those as part of fuel system overhaul after I bought the boat.
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

You wrote that this was unused for 4 years and that "I replaced fuel filters, spark plugs & fuel lines; added oil to fuel as recommended in owners manual". There was no mention of the carbs being done. When were they done, was it 4 years ago?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry i didn't mention it - this is my first time to use this service and wasn't sure how it was going to work. Recently rebuilt carbs along w/ replacing fuel filters, lines, & washing out fuel tank.
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Did you check engine compression and spark output?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No. What eqmt needed for that? Could it be a stuck carb float?PS I a not at all experienced mechanic but try to be meticulous.