Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 350 Map MPI with Bravo III stern drive. I have an

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 350 Map MPI with Bravo III stern drive. I have an overheating issue only when I go over a certain RPM.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the marine mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have replaced raw water pump and impeller, it was in perfect condition. Inspected and cleaned thhe risers, again fine. Cleaned the fresh water heat exchanger, checked all of the lines, replaced the sensors and thermostat
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the marine mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think it is a raw water pickup problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. I don't see any kind of actual question from you. How is it I can help you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am trying to diagnose an overheating problem
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I understand that. But I do not know what it is you want or need from me. What are your questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is what other issues could be occurring? What have I not tried?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

You wrote that you think it is a raw water pickup problem. It's common for the water line in the transom assembly to start to collapse in on itself creating a restriction, it happens on all bravo drives after about 4 or 5 years. We call this "bravoitis". Because of that the water line should be replaced at the same time the bellows get replaced, which is every 4 to 5 years as well. When was the last time the water line was replaced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have heard of this, the boat/engine/stern drive is 5 years old. The transom line has not been replaced. Is it routine for please to also install a thru hull for this problem?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has not been replaced, the boat is 5 years old. Is it recommended to keep replacing this every 5 years? Do other people install thru hulls for water pickup?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I do a thru hull could I re-use another "hole" that is currently being used for the head?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

If the transom line hasn't been replaced yet then its definitely going to be time, and that is going to be your problem.

Is it routine to install a through hull pickup? No, it's not routine. You can do it if you want to, however, if you go this route you would also need to install a sterndrive shower to keep the sterndrive cool. When you take a way the water flow through the sterndrive by adding a through hull the gear oil in the drive will over heat. It's typically better just to leave it the way it is as this is a routine maintenance item. If you want to keep this from happening again 5 years from now, a better option is to install a stainless steel water neck where that line connects, this is an aftermarket part made by an aftermarket company. Click this link, this is what it is - http://www.amarket.com/BRAVOitis.htm

The reason why this is a better solution is;

1. This problem will never happen again

2. You do no have to drill any holes in the bottom of the boat for a through hull fitting

3. You do not have to add a sterndrive shower to cool it

Does that all make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

How did you end up making out?