Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Would a faulty ignition module cause catastrophic engine

Customer Question

Would a faulty ignition module cause catastrophic engine damage?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the marine mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a bayliner cierra and I am told we have the following issues with our boat caused by failure of a ignition module which cause the center head gasket to brake, cylinders 3,4,5, and 6 located in the center head gasket had broken and had no seal and the engine severly overheated plus the security horn which is attached to the engine had been disconnected. The security horn is a mechanism that apparently allows the horn to alarm if the engine begins to overheat. I thought the boat was not winterized properly.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the marine mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: We believe the marina did not winterize the boat properly and are trying to get out of the warranty. This boat has been well maintained and ran perfectly before the marina winterized it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 25 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

You Didn't list an engine model, size, horsepower or serial number. But even without knowing that information I can tell you that No, a faulty ignition module would not cause a blown head gasket or overheating. Did you have any further questions on the issue or was that your primary concern?