Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I am attempting to remove the lower unit from a 1998 Mercury

Customer Question

I am attempting to remove the lower unit from a 1998 Mercury 225, serial number 0G692971. I have the four big bolts loosened. I have read that there is one under the trim tab, but mine has no trim tab. What else do I need to loosen? Thx David
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the marine mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't think so.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 28 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 28 days ago.

On the bottom of the cavatition plate on your lower unit, is there s large round plate?

Expert:  Charles replied 28 days ago.

If the answer to that question is yes, the last bolt is located under that plate. Use a 1/2" socket from the top of it in the small hole to loosen the bolt that holds the plate on, then you will expose the bolt. After you remove the bolt, and have the other 4 backed off, the case should drop down slightly. If it will not budge, or it has been some time since it has been removed, you may need to tap on the rear of it with a mallet to get it to loosen up.

I have to run to a DR. appt and will be back online in just over an hour. I will look for a reply from you then.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Will check. Thx
Expert:  Charles replied 28 days ago.

Sounds good. Talk to you then.