Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Everything gets wet inside(carpet, bed,etc) This happens

Customer Question

Everything gets wet inside(carpet, bed,etc) This happens while the boat is docked. Someone told me there's some kind of a drainage system that can get blocked causing these problems
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the marine mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I didn't take notice of anything till I found that my Teak Bow Pulpit was totally wet rotted. I had observed times when I came to the boa and the interior was soaked. or other times when all the carpeting was soaked. One time,I found the Rope Locker filled with water(which is why the Bow Pulpit rotted) But I don't know how this happened. A knowledgeable friend with a similar Sea Ray boat told me he had the same thing start to happen,but he was able to stop it. He said Sea Ray boats have some kind of a drainage system that can get clogged if you don't take care of your boat. That's about it.The boat is my Dad's, and he let it go to shit. So I'm taking it upon myself to clean it up. But it's been one problem after another. It doesn't help that I've never worked on boats before, bu I couldn't deal w/ the half-assed way he took care of it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the marine mechanic should know?
Customer: No, But He needs to specialize Sea Ray Boats,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 29 days ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

A very common problem with these are caulking, rub rails, screws, drains - esp the anchor locker drain getting clogged which will back up and with water sitting in it if water can seep out of the hose or from loose clamp then it will cause wetness inside. The way to find it is fill the locker with hose water and see if that along causes the problem and if not use a hose to blast down and find where the water is coming in, this can sometimes take a great deal of time which can sometimes be sped up with a high pressure nozzle (within reason). Any fitting not sealed can and will leak, this includes screws subject to water, and remember it does not mean it is directly above the wet area, water will travel down until it drips or leads to another area, this can sometimes be a distance away from the place the water is actually coming in.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi Joe! I haven't been able to confirm fact, or as the problem. I was told that this is a problem that's specific to Sea-Ray boats. I'll get back to you as soon as I confirm everything.
Expert:  Joe replied 24 days ago.

No problem, please keep me updated if you need any further assistance just let me know.

Thanks,

joe

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hey Joe! I am trying to figure out how water is getting into the anchor Locker in the first place. The locker is at the bow of the boat, and is completely above the waterline. And although the boat is docked and nothing (no systems)is running it fills up with water. I don't see it full of water but sometimes when I get there it's wet. That's my biggest problem figuring out how it happening. I was told it had to do with the Sea Ray Boats. I will talk to that person and let you know what he says.Howard