Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1988 35hp mercury. runs good idle and mid range. At full

Customer Question

1988 35hp mercury. runs good idle and mid range. At full throttle it has a miss that comes in and out with no clearing. New plugs . Carb has been gone through. Notice significant seepage around upper crank seal (oily).
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the marine mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Yeah. The owner is a tightwad. A wrong "guess on my part will be on my dime.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. A leaking upper crank seal, as well as a lower crank seal, as well as the crank seals in between each cylinder will all cause the engine to misfire. If you see a leak on the upper that will definitely cause a misfire. When the piston comes down in it's stroke it's going to blow a little air and oil out through that leaking crank seal. When the piston comes up in it's stroke, normally it would pull fresh fuel and air in through the carb only, but, with a leaking upper crank seal it is going to also draw air in through the seal, causing the motor to lean out.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be repaired. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason