Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Winterizing 1991 volvo penta outdrive. I... winterizing 1991

Customer Question

winterizing 1991 volvo penta outdrive. I...
winterizing 1991 volvo penta outdrive. I put water in and ear muffs on but water goes out of the bottom, why?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me abit more about what's going on so the marine mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Water runs right back out at the bottom. I'm trying to winterize my outdrives, how can I put antifreeze in for the winter if the water I put in while testing runs right back out at the bottom of the outdrive. Is thre a drainhole there that needs a plug? I'm a new owner, just bought this 1991 30 foot sunrunner with twin volvo pentas v8 and outdrives and am trying to winterize.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the marine mechanic should know?
Customer: My engines have self contained cooling system with anitfreeze.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
need help with outdrives of 1991 sunrunner. Put water through the outdrive testing, before putting antifreeze in. the water ran out of the bottom, does it need plug?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Put a plug in the hole. That is another water pick up.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The drive doesn't need to be winterized. All you need to do is drain the heat exchanger.

Could I get the engine model number please of the engine?