Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I cannot seperate 115 yamaha powerhead. can i interchange a

Customer Question

i cannot seperate 115 yamaha powerhead. can i interchange a q motor powerhead wth a j motor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I don't quite understand what you mean. What is the model number on your engine, and the model number on the other engine in question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
both v4 yamaha 2 stroke. removed 10 bolts and 2 nuts. tryed to lift off muff section.no luck, Dutch
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Dutch,

Yamaha has been making V4 two stroke 115's in the USA since 1984, and they have been making them overseas since the 70's. I would need to know the exact model number of your engine just to know what it is you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
130etxf
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Got it. Now what are your questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
130etxf hello
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Yes I got the model number, what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I seperate
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Did you remove the lower unit yet? Are you trying to pick the powerhead up by hand, or are you using a hoist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
using hoist. broken bolts with corrosio n in middle section. other motor wiggles on lower unit but won't lift
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Did you take the lower unit off yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Try taking the lower off first and see what happens. If the lower will not drop then you know the problem is the driveshaft is rusted into the crankshaft. Does that make sense. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
dropped lower unit, try to drop muffler section. broken bolts stuck with whie corrosion on mid section
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i can expose broken bolts will soak and heat. Any better ideas?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the verticle shaft to transom mount has keeper on bottom. removed. bolts removed will not slide down. trying to expose broken bolts to motor
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** see that your question has been here for a while and is still unanswered. I see that you want to drop the kid section from the powerhead, this is not possible die to the way that the engines are assembled. At the top, lust below the powerhead is the upper mounts. They are bolted to the swivel tube and the adapter plate. You can only see the bolt head and not the nut, to remove the mid housing, the nuts need to be removed, and this can only be done once the powerhead is removed. To get the one that is stuck off the mid, you are going to need to try and drive upward with a punch on the broken bolts to see if you can dislodge them. If not, you may be better off, just using the entire other engine as a swap.