Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

We have lost power and cannot open the engine room hatch.

Customer Question

We have lost power and cannot open the engine room hatch. What can we do?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the marine mechanic can help you best.
Customer: We had to change our inverter/charger yesterday and the mechanic checked out everything and found that the new one was charging our batteries perfectly. This morning, we planned to go out on the boat and found that we had completely lost all power, including not being able to open the engine room hatch to check out the problem. What can we do?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the marine mechanic should know?
Customer: Did you get our last message?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 29 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What kind of boat are you working on?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
2009 Sea Ray Sundancer 330
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Additionally, I cannot start the engines to bring up the batteries. The boat is on shore power and I have activated the emergency start button with no success. No luck in starting the onboard generator. Please advise.
Expert:  Jason replied 29 days ago.

Got it. Did you turn on the onboard battery charger?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It's located in the engine room and I can't open the hatch because it is powered by an electric motor.
Expert:  Jason replied 29 days ago.

The switch to turn the charger on is on the DC panel, do you know where your DC panel is?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
the switch is on.