Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a df50 that I can't remove the lower unit. This is a

Customer Question

I have a df50 that I can't remove the lower unit. This is a salty motor. All bolts have been removed, shift shaft disconnected. I have destroyed the gearcase and attached a slide hammer to the pinion nut .Still no relief. Can the driveshaft splines be frozen to the crank? Or maybe the driveshaft bushing has corroded? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for several weeks!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the marine mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing other than the fact that I have 40 years experience but have never encountered this degree of difficulty removing a lower unit. Thanks!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What year is the outboard?

When was the last time the lower unit was off?

How many nuts and bolts in total did you remove from the lower unit?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Are you with me?