Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a one year old 75hp 4 stroke mercury. Had a battery

Customer Question

I have a one year old 75hp 4 stroke mercury. Had a battery problem and could not tilt the engine backup. I cracked the flathead screw but could not physically movery the engine. Bought a new battery but still could not get the tilt motor to run when I activated either trim up switch. The tilt motor runs when I hit the tilt down switch. The motor is in the full tilt down position.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Dale, my name is Jason.

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number. Can I start by getting that number so I can see exactly what you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I find that
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It's on a sticker on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard on the starboard side. It's probably on any receipts that you have for the outboard as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Yes i'm here, did you see the response I sent you 3 minutes ago?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
28153604
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Got it. Can you hear the trim up relay click when you hit either trim button? You will likely have to pull the engine cover and listen very carefully.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do not hear anything when I hit the tilt up with either switch. The tilt motor runs when I hit the tilt down switch
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Do you know where the trim relays are on the engine

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I do not
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you from here.

I have a question back for you. What type of boat is the engine mounted to?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tracker 175
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, on the engine there is a trim limit switch. From my experience on this engine, the limit switch can fail and thus take out the up trim while still allowing you to trim down. The dealer will need to replace that limit switch under your warranty.

Do you need to get the engine up so that you can move the trailer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, remove the hood from he engine, locate the trim switch on the side of the cowling, follow those wires to a long black box with many wires in it. Disconnect the switch from this box, then disconnect the wires from the other end of the box. Connect the trim switch to the harness side that you disconnected and the trim will function.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can't positively identify. Can I release the pressure and move the motor manually
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Yes you can, you need to back the screw out until the motor releases and falls. Then you can pick it up.

The limit switch is about 1 1/2" wide and around 4" long if your looking for it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK i' m done. Can'' lift the motor myzelf
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Did you open the valve far enough to get the engine to fall?