Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have something going on with my 1995 150 2-stroke. 1) Water

Customer Question

Hi - have something going on with my Johnson 1995 150 2-stroke. 1) Water flowing out of a valve in the middle of the port side of the engine block. 2) Top cylinder on port side not heating up 3) three plugs on port side show rusting. Engine runs. Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Rust in the cylinders means a blown head gasket or engine issue. There should not be any water coming out of anything on that side of the motor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't take a pic now since I'm not near the boat and won't be until weekend. Don't know the exact model, either. It's a Johnson 150 and I believe it's a '95. Valve is in the middle of the block between two of the heads, and there is a constant flow of warm water from it. Sorry I don't have all the info handy.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

I will need the engine model number. To determine what valve you are referring to. I don't know of any valve in that model year between the heads.

I looked at all the model in that year and none have the valve.

Here is a diagram of the engines for 95.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/50301.gif

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK - can I send this to you in a few days? I can also take photos. In the meantime, is it safe to run the engine and boat locally or do I risk greater damage?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok that's fine. No I wouldn't as the spark plug are getting wet from water. You can ingest the water into the crank and all the bearings by running the engine. I would start engine and spray some oil into the front of the carbs to lube all the internals just in case it has already started to ingest water.

Rusty spark plugs are serious.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Thank you. I will follow up with you on Friday or Saturday.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Your welcome.