Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 17ft. 78 J-Craft. Original Motor was a 1978 Merc

Customer Question

I have a 17ft. 78 J-Craft. Original Motor was a 1978 Merc 115. I have a 1983 Merc 115 to replace it. Issue is the panel mount shift control for the newer Merc 115 is too tall. As in the there is not enough room for the throttle in the forward position. As in it hits the dashboard. Suggestions pleae.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I'l try to get the model numbers.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is there any chance you can take a few pictures of everything so I can see it all?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

At you still with me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm working on getting photos and measurments. (boat is not here in town)
The '78 control box wiring is for a distributor; the newer '83 model is a distributorless. Current mechanic thinks the Merc 3000 panel mount should fit.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

A 3000 will work with that engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need a bit more back up info than just 'that should work'. I presume there are spcific mechanics as well as the size of the throttle stick and potential interference with the dash. Still working on pictures. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I didn't say it should work, I said it would work. As for the rest I would need pictures and to also know what your questions are.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Any luck with those pictures?