Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1994 Volvo Penta 302 Ford, carbureted. It sat for 3

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Volvo Penta 302 Ford, carbureted. It sat for 3 years. I redid the fuel system, twice. It stars and runs absolutely perfectly, but when I push the throttle, it dies. I nurse it thru that stage, and it runs poorly. I have changed 3 power valves, had the carb done twice by pros.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Don't know what.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can I start by getting the model number on the engine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Allan Brown here. I don't have the model in front of me, but it is a 302 Ford, with a 2 barrel 2300 Holley carb.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1994
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Allan,

Are you near the boat now? If yes, pop the spark arrestor off the carb. Open the choke up with your hand if you have to. And then either have a helper pump the throttle, or disconnect the throttle cable and pump the carb by hand. Look down the throat of the carb when doing this. Let me know if you see 2 strong streams of fuel shoot out, or if you get weak streams, or nothing.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Were you near the boat now Allan?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good squirts
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Okay steps 2 3 and 4 are going to be to 1, check engine compression 2, triple check the firing order and 3, check ignition idle timing and also check for timing advance when throttled up. That is what needs to be done next. Is that something you can do?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. It looks like you read my last reply and logged off without responding back. Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will do those things, but I don't expect any results. The engine shuts down when you move the throttle past idle, like the fuel shuts off. I have had the carb serviced by two pro's. I just bought a vacuum gauge, and I am going to observe the vacuum when the stop occurs. I will let you know. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Allan,

Here is what you are looking at. The engine needs 3 things to run. Compression, timed spark ignition, the proper ratio of fuel to air. When testing the engines it must be done in that order. If it's not done in that order then mistakes will be made. If you do have a compression issue then you simply stop there is nothing you can do to make the engine run better until the compression issue is sorted out. If compression is good, then you move on to double checking the firing order and the ignition timing, as well as the advance. If compression and the ignition system is in order then that proves the problem is going to be in the fuel system, and you are back at the carb. When working on engines, troubleshooting is done through deduction. The other thing you need to make sure of is that the gas itself is actually good and not spoiled. The easiest thing here is to simply get a portable fuel tank, fill that with fresh gas, hook it up to the engine. Does that all make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Did that all make sense to you Allan?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in. No rating has been put through for my help yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?