Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Just purchased a 2016 18 ft. Jet sled with a center console

Customer Question

Just purchased a 2016 18 ft. Jet sled with a center console positioned boat forward of 1/2 half way point.
1) I am new to the jet motor thing. My question is: assuming the boat is set up correctly, weight is distributed correctly in the boat, to take off I have the motor trimmed all the way down. It levels the boat out very quickly(on plane /foot). Am I supposed to keep trimming the motor up for:
1) optimum speed and
2) reduce the chance of the foot hitting something in skinny water
The reason I ask this, is it seems that the more I trim the motor up, th lower the rear of the boat sits in the water and the bow of the boat is riding higher.
Or:
should I keep the bow down and trim down which means I can run in the skinniest of water?
Just trying to dial it in.
are there any forums or websites that would be great sources of info for me as a jet boat owner?
Thank you,
Breck
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

When you are getting on plane, the motor needs to be all the way down, this will give you the best bite on the water. As the boat planes off, you trim the motor up until it is about level. This will be the setting to get the best speed out of the engine/boat set up. To get into skinny water, you would need to keep the speed up to keep more of the boat out of the water.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

this site here, has many topics of jet boats.

http://meanchicken.net/webmain/forum/index.php