Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Does a 2014 Merc 9.9 retain water in the head after use or

Customer Question

Does a 2014 Merc 9.9 retain water in the head after use or does it all come out? Just wondering if in winterizing motor if I need antifreeze .
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Just took boat out of Lake Erie and am having my 115 hpmerc winterized and Just wondering if 9.9 kicker needs antifreeze as well
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: that's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

As long as you take care of the fuel system and spray some fogging oil into the cylinders, as long as you trim the engines down, ald allow all of the water to drain from them, neither engine would need antifreeze, all outboards are self draining when trimmed down.