Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I've been trying to bleed the trim on my Yahama 200 after

Customer Question

I've been trying to bleed the trim on my Yahama 200 after looking at several utube videos. However the problem persists in the upward motion.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I've tried to evacuate the system by opening the fill and loosening the pressure screw and pushing both pistons down.. tightening the pressure screw and refilling the fill cap while switch is in up position. and engine is in up locked position. both rods pop back up but center rod won't reach max height and pump doesn't bind up. There seems to still be air in the system I can't get out. I tried this method four times.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I"M able to lift the motor just enough to take the tilt lock off with the fill cap on and the pressure screw tight. The motor drops half way down. with no resistance. then will slowly and noisily lift all the way back to max height with binding noise in pump motor.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

When you have the engine up on the trim lock and remove the fill cap, do you get any fluid out of the system?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Ok, with the fill cap tight, open the release screw slightly and allow the engine to slowly fall to the full down position. Then close the release screw. Trim the engine up as high as it will go. When it stops, bring it back down. Allow it to sit for a minute to not overheat the trim motor. Then bring it back up. When it stops, finish raising it by hand to the trim lock. Allow it to sit for a minute to get the air out of the fluid. open the cap and make sure that you are geting some fluid from it. If not add fluid. Then take it off the trim lock, use the trim motor to get it all the way down. Do this a few times and you should get all the air out of it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your effort Charles. I tried your suggestion but ended with the same results I had before. Trim still not under enough pressure. It was my last ditch effort before taking it in.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Did you hit anything underwater recently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sir but it had been very lightly leaking for about a year. I've been bleeding it about once a month with the simple up and down refill method. I guess the o ring or seal gave out.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

It does sound like the seal on the trim ram has failed. You can reseal it and see if that would work.