Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am an outboard mechanic, the motor I have is a mercury

Customer Question

i am an outboard mechanic, the motor I have is a mercury 30-40hp 4 stroke when you accelerate quickly it stalls it starts every time, when you accelerate slowly its fine I put a timing light on it and it shows 10deg after TDC ,when you accelerate slowly the timing changes like it should at idle its very slow and rough, I have cleaned out the carbys, all clean, and this 4 stroke has no timer base its all done electronic, I have never seen a 4 stroke with timing at ATDC before is this right 2 strokes run TDC
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: is idle speed related to idle timing ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number.