Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Well I have an omc 5.0 that was winterized by a previous

Customer Question

Well I have an omc 5.0 that was winterized by a previous owner. I'm a first time boat owner and would like to take it out for a test run this weekend, but not sure what I need to do to unwinteuize it
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

This is a little tough to answer because the term "winterizing" means different thing to different people. If the boat was properly winterized, then all you would need to do is hook up a battery, check your oils, and off you go. Have you tried starting it up yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not. However I'm reading with it being an v8 inboard motor it probably has antifreeze in it and the coolant drained for winter storage in Milwaukee, wi. Is this something I need to drain the antifreeze and refill the coolant if that is the case? If so how do I get the antifreeze out or do I just turn the engine over and let it burn out for a few minutes?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My name is ***** ***** the way
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Kathleen,

Some folks add antifreeze to the engines, others do no not and simply store them dry. If it does have antifreeze in it, it is supposed to be what they call non-toxic RV type antifreeze. (This stuff in this link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NKUL72W/ref=pd_day0_263_6?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NKUL72W&pd_rd_r=0STKESYMPWQEANM64NT5&pd_rd_w=tTXlo&pd_rd_wg=eIgLM&psc=1&refRID=0STKESYMPWQEANM64NT5

As long as the proper antifreeze was used you can simply start it up, and the engine will dump the antifreeze out of the exhaust. It's non toxic so it won't hurt pets or fish, should you start it up in a lake.

Did you have any further questions for me on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason