Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 350 engine with sterndrive mercruiser outboard. I

Customer Question

I have a 350 engine with sterndrive mercruiser outboard. I was coming back in from the bay and the engine shut down on me running about 25mph. I turned key off and lifted the doghouse to find oil under motor everywhere, thought motor blew got towed in. Upon further inspection i realized the motor is good full of oil and the oil is coming from some kind of injector pump, the oil looks like power steering fluid, but I dont know how a power streering fluid leak could shut a motor down or why i even have power steering fluid on a boat. Please help
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: i did not get any alarms or high temps readings
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

The fluid could have grounded out the ignition coil. If the power steering hose at the actuator broke it will blow fluid everywhere.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where can I find it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok172714
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Go to the back of the engine and locate the steering actuator and inspect the power steering lines are they rusty or broken off?

Here is a diagram of the actuator. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/COMMON/37778.gif