Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Had a gas leak coming from the top float bowl I removed the

Customer Question

had a gas leak coming from the top float bowl I removed the bowl and some type of keeper fell out don't know how it goes back in. the motor is a 1997 mariner magnum 4cyl 2 sroke 40hp
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: just need to know how to get that piece goes back in
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 15 days ago.

The retainer attaches to the float and the inlet needle. This is so the inlet is pulled down by the float when fuel in float bowl drops. It will come down by gravity the clip is designed to pull the inlet needle down if it sticks.

Now is this the retainer you are referring to?