Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I want to fit a 125 hp outboard engine to my 16 ft fletcher

Customer Question

I want to fit a 125 hp outboard engine to my 16 ft fletcher and need to know how much to off set by. Can you advise please
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Hi Pete, my name is Jason.

What do you mean by "offset"? Are you asking how high or low the outboard should be mounted, or something else?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The engine, I think, will need to be off set to the right, by maybe an inch or two, to allow for the engine torque?
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

The engine needs to be centered on the boats transom, if it's not centered the boat will never steer correctly, and if it's off center to much the boat can actually be dangerous to drive at high speeds. Has the transom been drilled yet or has the boat had an engine on it previously?

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Did you have any other questions on the issue, or what that what you needed to know?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it was off set with the old engine when I bought it and was OK. However when I changed the engine I saw it was off center, which I thought was wrong so I centered it, now it pulls to one side, to the point of being very unstable
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

If it pulls to one side with the engine centered then something else is going on. What kind of steering system does the boat have?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Click this link to pull up a picture. Is the steering system like the one on the left, or the one on the right?

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

What is the boat doing, is it turning to the side on it's own when you let go of the wheel?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When you are at full speed it will bank to one side just when you are going straight as if you have the weight wrong. When you turn the corner if does not bank as a boat should, it slides round.
With the old engine it was OK!
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Can you take a couple of pictures of the back of the boat so I can see what everything looks like?

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.
I'm adding a file for you. This is from the Mercury Factory. You can see how Mercury specifies that the outboard be centered on the boat.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
have tried to send photo
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

No photo came through. You should see an "add files" button that you can use to upload pictures.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Here with photo
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have you any other advice
Expert:  Jason replied 14 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay. We are all contractors and do Justanswer on the side. When you replied back this morning I was at work.

Let me ask you this, is the outboard centered to the splash well, or centered to the keel?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Centered to the keel
Expert:  Tan replied 12 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

What is the boat rated for HP wise?

Have you tried adjusting the trim tab on the motor?

Turn the trim tab in the direction the boat is pulling in. The engine has to be centered on the transom.

If you look up the keel of the boat from the transom is it straight? Is the bottom straight?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
your questions, yes is the answer to most. one question I would like to ask you think I may have the engine slightly to deep in the water?
Expert:  Tan replied 12 days ago.

That is very possible the cavitation plate should be about 3/4 " above the bottom of the boat. With this size motor on a boat this small you can possibly even go higher.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** give it a go and let you know
Expert:  Tan replied 12 days ago.

Your welcome...........Please don't for get to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get paid my share of the money you put up.

Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge.