Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

What is the major differences between the Merc 6.2 vs the

Customer Question

What is the major differences between the Merc 6.2 vs the 496 Magnum engines? I am looking to purchase a Formula 330ss and want to make sure I make the right decision as this boat offers the Merc 6.2 (493 hours).
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The major difference between the two engines is the amount of torque they make. Torque is the engines ability to get the boat up on plane quickly. The 496 is going to have way more torque than the 6.2, and the boat is going to perform quite a bit better with the 496 engine. Personally on a boat that size I would not even consider the 6.2, that engine is on the small side for a boat of this size.

Did you have any further questions on the issue or what that your primary concern?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Why were these engines put in these boats in the first place if that is the case?
Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Basically money. I hate to use the word "scam", so instead I will use the word scheme. One of the schemes in the boating world when it comes to manufacturing and sales is the upsell on engines. Manufactures will increase the price tremendously on a boat if it has a larger engine, even though the actual cost of the engine doesn't warrant what they charge for the upsell.

For example, itself, a single 6.2 engine is a 16 thousand dollar engine. Click this link;

A single 496 is a 19K dollar engine, click this link;

The price difference in the engines is about 3 thousand bucks, which is not a heck of a lot. If you walk into any boat dealer for any brand, and look at 2 boats that are exactly the same in every way except for the engines, the boat with the larger engine is going to cost way more than the actual 3000 dollar difference in the base engine price. Boat A might come with a 6.2 and cost 40K dollars, while Boat B comes with the 496, and costs 50K dollars. The manufacture, or the dealer (or usually both) is charging 10K dollars more on the "upsell" for the engines even though there is only a 3K dollar difference in the engines price. That's the scheme that boat builders do. It works the same way with outboards as well. You could take a 200 HP outboard and a 250 HP outboard and they are identical in every way except for the engines computer. But the price difference between them will be a few thousand bucks if you go to buy one. Does that all make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 17 days ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a further question on the issue by all means please feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.