Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have twin 2003 6.2 mpi and the tach stops working at

Customer Question

I have twin 2003 6.2 mpi and the tach stops working at around 1100 to 1200 rpm sounds simple what could it be thanks Dan
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Hi Dan, my name is Jason.

It's more than likely a bad tach. To test it, what you would need is really cheap battery charger. Pull the tach out and bring it to a wooden work bench. Hook up charger negative to the G Ground terminal (black wire) on the tach. Hook charger positive to the S Sender terminal (gray wire) on the tach. Flip the charger on low. If the tach is any good it should read roughly 3500 to 4500 rpms. Does that make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked and how you check it. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 15 days ago.

Hi Dan, I see you requested a call. Phone service is available but it is an extra service not included in your initial deposit. The website charged an additional 26 to switch to phone. Did you want a phone call or did you want to stay online?

Expert:  Jason replied 14 days ago.

Hi Dan, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?