Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have read this thread with great interest, as I am

Customer Question

Hello Jason. I have read this thread with great interest, as I am experiencing the same darn thing. 08 Malibu Response. 5.7 Vortech, carbeurated. Can I have your guidence?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
34;No spark with a delco voyager est distributor kit in a 1990"
Is the thread I was referring to, that Jason was talking about. My boat is an 08 Malibu Indmar 5.7 V tech Carbeurated. I've got a no spark condition, and am about to test for how much voltage during cranking I get to the coil. If insufficient, what suggested path of investigation. I wrote additional comments in my first question submition. Was that reciever? Thankyou.
Expert:  Jason replied 16 days ago.

Hi Todd, good morning this is Jason.

Can you open up PDF files if I upload how to test the EST system in that format?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can. Did you receive all my info i.e.: additional info on my initial question and then an edit? And per the package I chose here, will this include some back and forth with you or do I need unlimited access and unending attention package?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oh, and good evening Jason. I am in S.E. Asia.
Expert:  Tan replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Do you have voltage to the ignition coil key on and cranking?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do. Dunno what it is yet. That's tommorows big question to answer. If it is good or if it's insufficient, what next? I'll be working while you are sleepin and vice versa. Am here in Thailand and about to go to bed.
Expert:  Tan replied 16 days ago.

Ok long as you have 8+ volts when cranking then we have to test the sensor in the distributor. Before you replace the components in the distributor disconnect the tach and the shift interrupt switch does spark return?

If no then the next component to replace is the ignition coil.

Testing Pickup Coil
1. Connect an ohmmeter to either pickup coil lead and the housing. If the reading is NOT
infinite, replace the pickup coil.
2. Connect an ohmmeter to both pickup coil leads. Flex the leads by hand at the coil and
the connector to locate any intermittent opens. The ohmmeter should read a constant
unchanging value in the(###) ###-####hm range. If NOT, replace the pickup coil.

This is the pick up coil in the distributor below the rotor.

If the pick up coil tests good then you have a bad ignition module.