Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have an Evinrude 90 hp. Since the problem of not starting

Customer Question

I have an Evinrude 90 hp. Since the problem of not starting I have invested in 2 new batteries. Yet the engine refuses to turn at startup. I've changed the relays in the start circuit, all I get is a click. Any thoughts!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Thanks
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 22 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Ok so if all you get is a click then the problem is either the starter motor is not good, it needs brushes or repaur or else power is not coming to the starter. So first thing you need to check is if there is 12 Volts on the starter motor positive wire and ground when the key is on the start position. You would require help here for someone to turn the key. If there is 12 volts then the problem is with the starter motor.I suggest you remove it and take it to an electrician for service. If on the other hand there is no 12 volts, then you need to check a step back on the relay and keep following down to the battery. Somewhere you have a loose connection or bad wire. Check the connections on the main switch if equipped.

If you still require assistance let me know.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks Noel, I'll give it whirl.

Ok keep me updated.