Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

We recently purchased a 1999 ETW Bennington Pontoon Boat

Customer Question

We recently purchased a 1999 ETW Bennington Pontoon Boat with a 1999 70 hp 2 stroke Yamaha motor. The ID for the motor best we can make out is #707YRX. The motor keeps stalling out after idling through low wake zones and sometimes won't restart for over 30 minutes.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: We replaced the fuel line but it is still not working properly. Now does not even want to shift in gear.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 20 days ago.

Has the engine been sitting for some time?

Have you tested the fuel for water?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It had been sitting for 6 months before we bought it. I believe we did test fuel for water.
Expert:  Charles replied 19 days ago.

Ok, you could be having two issues. One would be the carbs. The small jets inside it are going to be plugged. This is the running issue. The second may be that the water pump could be weak.. This would account for the not starting for 30 minutes until it cooled down some.