Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

Having trouble getting lower assembly back on after impeller

Customer Question

Having trouble getting lower assembly back on after impeller repair
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I rotated the prop and now cannot get lower assembly to fit back on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I am not sure but don't know. I don't want to force it.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
after impeller replacement. Shift level is the problem I think. It isn't seating after I rotated the drive axle to feel the resistance of the new impeller.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Can you please advise the make and hp of your engine?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Tohatsu 8 hp 4 stroke
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
shift lever, not level in the prior aboveThis format is not working for me. I get no responses.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Anyone there??
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not getting any help here.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Again, anyone there???
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I need to stop for now. It is 3 am my time
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am back and need help
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Anyone there?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 16 days ago.

Hello, sorry for the late reply i got the messages now. So in your case there are two these the one with the split pin and the one with the long shift shaft that goes to the engine block. If that is the case it needs to latch with the shaft under the carb.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The drive shaft rising out of the bottom assembly has gearing at the top end and that goes into the hole in the engine block. The gear shift lever is a long shift shaft with an engagement pin at the end of it that comes out of the engine assembly or the engine block. When the bottom assembly is removed, it has the drive shaft sticking up out of it and the shift shaft comes down and protrudes from the engine block. After rebuilding the water pump I rotated the gear shaft to feel the friction of the impeller engaged and now I can't get the shift shaft and the pin at the end of it to fit into and re-engage into the bottom assembly. Also the engine has been sitting for a month while waiting for the rebuild parts to come including the new impeller.

Ok then the problem if i can understand you correctly what you need to do is to pull the shift shaft up by hand of by a plier and it should engage into gear and then match the upper shaft.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You misunderstand. The drive axle with gearing goes into the engine block smoothly. It is the shift lever shaft and pin in any position that does not properly go into the gear box. It won't go in because something in the gear box is mal-aligned and won't accept it.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 14 days ago.

Ok sorry about that, inside the gear box it needs to go the slanting part facing the propeller.What i am suspecting is that either the selector pin got broken inside the gear box as that part should slide easily as in the fig in page 43 of the following link:

I suggest that you open the gearbox and check the doc clutch pin and spring.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'll check but have to spend the day at the dentist.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Having great trouble getting gear box open to check. Am seeking help on that. Will inform.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 11 days ago.

You ll need to remove the two bolts behind the propeller and pull the shaft carrier out. from there the gears will come out.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Don''t rush things. I am still working to get the gear box open. It is on tight and not coming off easily.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 10 days ago.

Yes to get the gear box open you need to remove the two bolts behind the propeller and remove the carrier.You would need a puller to pull it out if it is tight and in some extreme cases heat it using a heat gun.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Your diagram doesn't show the back of the gear box, but I have another one which does and it is a screw in piece. It is what is giving me trouble. It does not just slide out with the shaft on removing the two you suggest.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It is also screwed in as my parts diagram, but not yours, show.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My prior response has been seriously edited by Just Answers to exclude my comment that I am mad because I have been charged by Just Answers before my problem is solved. Indeed, I am stuck on another matter or problem you did not mention. Namely that the back of the fear case unscrews and does not come off by only removing the two bolts you mentioned. Your parts diagram does show the gear case back. The one I have does show the gear case back. I am going to fill the gear case with penetrating oil to facilitate removal.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why are you and Just Answers pushing me so hard before the problem is specifically found and resolved???? It is like blowing me off and grabbing my money.