Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Why does my 977 lock up when i start the big motor, it works

Customer Question

why does my 977 lock up when i start the big motor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.
Customer: it works fine except after i kill the big motor and go to leave it stops when i hit the motor to go
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 23 days ago.

This is due to the voltage spike of the starter on the engine. You can try to eliminate this be increasing the CCA of the battery, or by making sure that the boat wiring going to the 977 is not creating too much of a drop. Dirty, or lose connections can cause this. Also a fuse panel that is starting to corrode will as well. You could also try to wire the 977 directly to the battery to see if that would help it to not lock up on you.