Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Wrapped a rope up in my 60 hp mercury outboard. got the rope

Customer Question

wrapped a rope up in my 60 hp mercury outboard. got the rope out but no the motor wont start?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine doesn't even make a sound like its trying to start
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Hello Bob. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Is the engine in neutral, are the battery cables tight and have you checked the fuse on the motor?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Batterys are okay, boat is in the water so I don't have a serial number. I found a 25 amp fuse
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the fuse holder was melted onto itself I cut the the fuse holder leads and jumpered around the fuse, but the engine still won't crank
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Is the control in neutral?

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
in neutral
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
if I was on the water, but im not
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Boats on the water , houseboat that's wet docked
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Ok you have done all you can at this point we need to do some voltage tests to find the problem. Somewhere you have lost voltage. If battery cables are tight and clean on the engine and the battery and the engine fuse has been eliminated we have to do tests to find the issue.

I also need the engine serial number to know what engine you have. They make many different models of the 60. 2 and 4 stroke carbureted and fuel injected. Some Mercury some Yamaha.

Do you have any instruments if yes when you turn key on do they come on?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Its a 60 hp mercury 2 stroke fuel injected, yes the oil pressure comes up and the battery gauge comes up to a little over 12 volts
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Are you sure it is 2 stroke. I don't have a listing for a fuel injected 2 stroke? Does the engine have an oil reservoir # 1 for 2 stroke oil? Open this link do you have a tank like this on the motor?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
sorry 4 stroke
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Ok we need to do some voltage tests. We need to test for voltage on the start solenoid # 19 and check for voltage on the brown wire and the yellow/red in harness # 27. Test for voltage on both with key in the crank position. You will need to unplug the brown wire from the solenoid and check voltage if no voltage unplug the yellow/red and check for voltage with key in crank position.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm going to have to drive down to the lake, no cell service on the water. When the rope caught in the prop, I didn't know and tried cranking the engine to start it. Does the engine have some kind of over torque protection ?
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

No usually when something like this happens it can over load the wiring and cause a short. The issue we have is the fuse you found melted so something has shorted causing your issue.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay , thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 19 days ago.

Your welcome. Keep me posted to your findings. To test the start circuit apply 12 volts to the brown wire on the start solenoid this will verify the start circuit is ok from start solenoid to starter.

Post back with your findings.

Thank you...Tan