Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 24ft pontoon with a J90PLSDM 2 stroke, last weekend

Customer Question

Hello I have a 24ft pontoon with a J90PLSDM 2 stroke
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: last weekend when coming off the water it started smoking and when I rev'd the engine it died this happened about three times before i got it on the trailer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: 2007 motor and i specific questions about how the oil injection works ok
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Smoke can be a number of different things. This could be to much oil or steam. Are you getting any kind of an alarm? Do you get the test alarm when you turn key on initially?

The oil injection system works off the pulses of the crankcase moving a diaphram in the VRO pump pumping oil and fuel at a regulated amount per pulse of the crankcase.

We need to start with a spark and compression test.

Can you do these checks?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No alarms. Refilled the oil reservoir the same morning as the problem.
I'll have to check any alarms when I turn the key on. I can do a compression test but it wont be until this afternoon.
It seems as though it was getting to much oil. Is there any scenario in which the VRO systems would allow or pull to much oil into the fuel?
I've got the boat in the driveway and I'm going to put the muffs on it to see what else i can find out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, I it's a 2006 motor, I mistyped 2007.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

The only thing that causes over oiling is an air leak on the fuel side of the VRO pump. This will make the pump cycle faster pumping to much oil. Check all the fuel line connections for good clamps and that each connection is tight.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, I'm doing that know and will get back with you. Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

OK