Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Just replaced the crank seals and rebuilt the carbs, the

Customer Question

Just replaced the crank seals and rebuilt the carbs, the machine is having problem pulling fuel still. Shows no sign of leak now, will run once started but will stop pulling fuel and die.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Just replaced the crank seals and rebuilt the carbs, the machine is having problem pulling fuel still. Shows no sign of leak now, will run once started but will stop pulling fuel and die.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Has 125 psi compression in all three cylinders, no visible signs of dama.ge to any of the lines and replaced the pulse lines
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

When you start the engine and it starts to die squeeze the primer bulb does it continue to run?

Try running the engine on a different fuel source does it run correctly now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does not have a primer valve, has a manual choke, and the carburetors pump the gas using engine pulse.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Could I get the make, model and serial number of your engine please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was of no help to me. Was able to take care of machine without a credible response.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Geez you didn't even tell me what you had how can I help when I don't even know what motor you have. Be reasonable. WOW

Do you even have any idea how many different motors fit that description 3 cylinder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry about my response, had already entered the model information and figured you would have this. The PWC I am working on is a 1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX, have replaced leaking crank seals, rebuilt the carburetors, and inspected the pulse and fuel lines for leaks. Will start on starting fluid and run, but will not start when cold or after sitting without. Has compression of 125 psi in all three cylinders.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

None of that info posted so I have no idea. Now see this is why I need that kind of info in your response as I don't work on jet skis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Tan.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

On this model the carbs may use pulse but they also use fuel pumps on the carbs which should be rebuilt when the carbs are, please see here: http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=kawasakipwc&a=31&b=4&c=0&d=-CARBURETOR-PARTS

Also take note that just because carbs/pump was cleaned does not mean it cleaned the problem enough to fix it, there are sometimes better cleaning needed such as a vat or even replacement of a carb or pump. Also I am not sure how you cleaned everything but cans will not do it. Carbs and pumps must be fully stripped down and all parts/components soaked in a dip solution, I then hot water rinse, follow by air gun, follow by can carb clean if clean enough first time, then air gun again. During assembly I use an clean enviroment on a clean lint free towel and again air gun, using a brand new full oem carb rebuild and pump rebuild kits.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if that is already all been done.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.