Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I just bought a 32 ft carver it is a 320 Voyager 1996 year.

Customer Question

I just bought a 32 ft carver it is a 320 Voyager 1996 year. The cables for shifting into forward and reverse are bad and I need to replace them in the lower and upper stations. How do
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I get information on how to replace them.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I also have electrical issues but need to fix the cable issue first.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

To replace the cables disconnect at both ends then tie a piece of string to one end of the cable pull cable out. On the cable will be the length of cable stamped in the casing. If no length post any number you find and I can decipher the numbers.

To eliminate any confusion of what cable goes where label each string with a piece of masking tape. Now if you can locate the length of each cable before removal. The length is usually stamped near the ends of the cable. If you can get the lengths then you would just tape the new cable to the old cable and pull it through. Now the cable can have wire ties and clamps along the routing of the cables. Just remove or cut the cable ties.

Post back with questions and findings.

Thank you.....Tan