Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

My 2004 bayliner 175 turns to the left very hard when at

Customer Question

my 2004 bayliner 175 turns to the left very hard when at high speed, can I adjust this some how
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Marine Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: well , when the steering wheel is in the correct position for going straight the motor is setting to the left a little
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: that should do it
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 25 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 25 days ago.

What engine go you have on the boat?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
the 3.0
Expert:  Charles replied 25 days ago.

Thanks. When you are on plane, where is the trim set to? Is the drive still tucked all the way in?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
no, it's up as far as it can go without coming out of the water while banking
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 25 days ago.

There are a few things that you can try to make the steering easier. One is to play with the trim at various levels to see if there is a sweet spot that the boat likes. Another would be to let off the throttle slightly, and a third if you have the clearance above the prop would be to add a trim tab on the gear case. You mainly see these on outboards, it would make turning to the left slightly easier.