Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I'm thinking about purchasing a bay boat with a 1998 200hp

Customer Question

I'm thinking about purchasing a bay boat with a 1998 200hp evinrude ficht but skeptical of the motor.. owner says it ocassionally overheats but runs fine
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 1980 Hydro-Sport with 200HP Evinrude (1998).
Brand new tires on trailer and new hubs and bearings.
Brand new pump and impeller installed 2 months ago.
Two brand new batteries
Single extra battery for accessories with solar charger.
Selling it with Garmin Striker 4 Sonar fish finder.
10' stick it pole.
I have had an issue with it overheating. Mechanic looked over and installed new pump and impeller. I had him pull the thermostats out (water doesn't get cold enough around here to need them).
Still over heats occasionally. Only other thing it could be is the sensor.
Other than that, engine runs fine. Always fill it with supreme fuel and fuel additives.
Fun boat. Takes waves pretty good in and out of bay. Plenty of good memories and nice fish in the bay and offshore. Usually go out about 3-4 miles on calmer days. Get up to 65-68mph on calm water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 27 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you had the engine scanned on a computer at a dealer ship? These are engine that had allot of problems. These were the engine that put OMC out of business.

The engine should not over heat at all. This can be water flow issues to the EMM causing it to over heat or blockage in the cooling system, failing sensor not likely as either they work or they don't. This could also be a lean fuel condition. These early engine were known to catch on fire.

These are just a few things that these engine are noted for. If you are really serious I would definitely have the computer scanned for any updates that can be done. Personally I would stay away from this engine.

If it wasn't this model year of the Ficht I would it is a boat worth purchasing.

Expert:  Tan replied 27 days ago.

Let's be sure of you engine model year. Could I get the engine model number please? They didn't have a Ficht in 98.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I live in san antonio, tx. where could I have it scanned being that I have some lack of knowledge
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
sorry you did say at a dealership
Expert:  Tan replied 27 days ago.

Any Evinrude dealer. Could I get the engine model number lets be sure of the model year?

Expert:  Tan replied 27 days ago.