Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

It's an omc 800 that's the problem lol! Been having a

Customer Question

It's an omc stringer 800 that's the problem lol! Been having a constant problem with snapping hubs on the props breaking cones and now finally the prop shaft snapped at the end where the drive pin goes! So I'm down and out now but I'm assuming I have a bad bearing or a bent prop shaft which at this point has to be replaced?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I'm sure he's aware that omc stringer are not all that great! Getting tired of fixing mine haven't had one season without having major issues!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

At this point your lower unit is going to need to be taken apart and rebuilt, one thing to check for is salt build up that expands and causes problems which may be related.

When the tech has it apart they will be able to check measurements to see if within spec or if the case needs replaced. Sometimes you will be able to see the case cracked extending back from the hub opening.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if your familiar with this type of unit it's an electric shift omc from like 1970 so if there was any crack or openings in the lower unit it wouldn't really shift gears for too long!